Easy, Cheap and Nutritious Dominican Beans
Updated: May 1, 2019
250g Pinto beans - soaked and boiled
1 green pepper
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
chicken stock cube
1. Sauté the ( finely chopped ) garlic, onion, pepper and coriander until soft.
2. Add the stock cube and heat until it melts.
3. Add the beans and sauté for a couple of mins.
4. Add tomato paste and again heat for a couple of mins.
5.Add enough hot water to just cover the beans and simmer until the mixture thickens - about 25/30 mins.
6. Serve with rice and salad.
I love this recipe because it's really easy to make, quick, cheap but most importantly so very nutritious. It's full of protein and fibre which you can increase by serving with brown rice instead of white rice. As you can see from the first pic, I've used coriander from my balcony which just keeps on growing and is a lot more peppery than the store-bought stuff thus loads more flavour.
We like to eat our beans mixed with the rice served with a salad on the side.
QUESTION : How would you eat them ??
I'd love to know :)